BOPSS, the British Oculoplastic Surgery Society, was founded in 2000 with the aim of bringing together surgeons in the United Kingdom and Ireland who share a major interest in oculoplastic surgery (ophthalmic plastic and reconstructive surgery, orbital and lacrimal surgery, and aesthetic (cosmetic) eyelid and facial surgery). Oculoplastic surgery is also known as oculo-facial surgery.
Richard Collin, Brian Leatherbarrow and Jane Olver, the Founding Executive Committee, met at the Winter Meeting of the European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ESOPRS) in Val D’Isere in 2000 and agreed on the need to establish the society given the rapid expansion of oculoplastic surgery as a sub-speciality of ophthalmology.
The aims of the Society are:
- To advance education, research and the quality of clinical practice in the area of ophthalmology known as oculoplastic surgery. (This field comprises specialist plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery of the eyelids, orbit, lacrimal drainage system, and the upper and mid-face).
- To provide an opportunity for members to meet, communicate and share their expertise and experience in oculoplastic surgery.
- To provide information and advice to the public in order that a better understanding of oculoplastic surgery as a subspecialty can be achieved.
BOPSS has over 130 consultant oculoplastic surgeon members, holds an annual scientific meeting, co-ordinates surgical audit and is active in establishing surgical training guidelines. It is intended that BOPSS will continue to evolve and develop its influential national role in education and training, and the promotion of oculoplastic surgery within ophthalmology as well as in relation to allied surgical specialties such as plastic surgery, maxillo-facial surgery, otolaryngological (ENT) surgery, neurosurgery and dermatological surgery.
This website is designed to be accessed by the public for general oculoplastic information and to help them find an oculoplastic surgeon in their own geographical area. It is also an important tool for the society, permitting surgeons to have access to information about membership, the annual scientific meeting, surgical audit and training. It also provides useful links. Some areas of the website are for BOPSS members only and these are accessed only with a password.
- Carole Jones – President
- Colin Vize – Secretary
- Tristan Reuser – Treasurer
- David Verity – President Elect
- Cornelius Rene – Past President
- Vikas Chadha – Scotland, Northern Ireland, Eire
- Nabil El-Hindy – North East England, Northumbria, Yorkshire and the Humber
- Bijan Beigi – East and West Midlands and East of England
- Rebecca Ford – South West England, Wales and Channel Isles
- Vickie Lee – London and South West England
- Jonathan Norris – Central England
- Steve White – Ireland
- Vickie Lee
BOPSS Research and Awards Advisory Committee (BRAAC)
Responsible for making a range of awards and considering research proposals. The membership of BRAAC will consist of the Past President, Treasurer, Scientific Advisors and Members. Members and Advisors will be nominated by the Executive Committee. Each member will serve a three year term and may be eligible for a further term if recommended by the Executive.
2019 – 2020
- President – Carole Jones
- Treasurer – Tristan Reuser
- President Elect – David Verity
- Sachin Salvi
- Andrew Pearson
- Tessa Fayers
- Bernie Chang
- James Hsuan
Membership Advisory Committee
- Secretary – Colin Vize
- President – Carole Jones
- Steve White
- Tristan McMullan
- Simon Madge
The BOPSS Treasurer,
c/o The Royal College of Ophthalmologists,
18 Stephenson Way,
London, NW1 2HD
020 7935 0702